The Traitor Baru Cormorant

The Traitor Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson I put this book down feeling as though I’d been slapped in the face and, in a sense, I had.

The Traitor is an exquisitely well-written book, with brilliant characterization and a wonderful world that I would like to know more about (will there be a sequel? Please, please say there will be a sequel!) and a main character who is possibly the single most untrustworthy character I have ever met.

I’m not even sure if I mean that as a compliment. I am, in fact, not sure if I liked this book. I don’t like to be lied to, and I don’t like feeling like I’ve been tricked, and by the time I put it down, I felt that both those things had happened.

On the other hand, if there is a next Baru Cormorant story, I will be begging to read it. I will be camping in front of the publisher’s office just to make sure I have my copy as soon as humanly possible.

I haven’t been this conflicted about a character since…um. I don’t think I’ve ever been this conflicted about a character.
I think I’m in love with Baru Cormorant.